ELK GROVE GRAPHICS GOES GREEN
Elk Grove Graphics has earned the distinct recognition of becoming a certified printer to the Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®) and the Sustainable Forestry Initiative® (SFI®) chain of custody standards. We are honored to be part of a select group of certified printers working to conserve the earth’s resources for future generations.
A SUSTAINABLE SOLUTION
Elk Grove Graphics has always been committed to protecting and preserving the environment and its resources. From using soy-based inks to recycling of paper, plates, and cleaning solutions, we view the certification as another measure we can take to help enhance and protect our world.
Earning the FSC and SFI Chain of Custody certification means that Elk Grove Graphics can use products produced with wood from a properly managed forest under the rules and regulations of environmental standards. The Forest Stewardship Council and Sustainable Forest Initiative are supported by many conservation groups, including Greenpeace, the National Wildlife Federation, The Nature Conservancy, and the World Wildlife Fund.
WHAT IS THE FOREST STEWARDSHIP COUNCIL (FSC)?
Forest Stewardship Council is a nonprofit organization in North America devoted to encouraging the responsible management of the world’s forests. FSC accredits independent certification organizations to carry out assessments of forest management to determine if standards have been met. The certifiers also ensure that companies claiming to sell FSC certified products have tracked their supply back to FSC certified sources. This Chain of Custody certification assures consumers that they can trust the FSC label.
WHAT IS THE SUSTAINABLE FORESTRY INITIATIVE (SFI)?
The Sustainable Forest Initiative program is a European standard based on the premise that responsible environmental behavior and sound business decisions can coexist. To become SFI certified, an organization must undergo a thorough and rigorous review of its operations by an accredited audit firm. Chain of Custody certification indicates that a company supplies products and merchandise from sources certified to the SFI standard. Organizations that meet the standards for SFI certification have demonstrated dedication to the principles of sustainability in the products they produce.
Often, paper comes from logging, which is associated with habitat loss, displacement of indigenous peoples, and pollution. FSC/SFI certified companies give clients the confidence that they do not support such practices.
FSC & SFI certified printers also provide their customers with the knowledge that:
- The printer has complied with all laws and FSC/SFI principles.
- Rights to the land from which the paper came are clearly defined and established.
- Indigenous peoples’ rights to own, use, and manage their lands are recognized and respected.
- The long-term social and economic well-being of forest workers and local communities are maintained and/or enhanced.
- Efficient use of the forest’s resources and services are encouraged to ensure economic viability and environmental benefits.
- Biological diversity, water resources, soils, and unique and fragile ecosystems are conserved, maintaining the ecological integrity of the forest.
- A plan that includes long-term objectives is written, implemented, and kept up to date.
- Monitoring is conducted to assess the condition of the forest, yields of forest management, management activities, and their social and environmental impact.
- Forests with a high conservation value are maintained.
- Plantations promote the restoration and conservation of natural forests.
Clients can count on the fact that Elk Grove Graphics is a dedicated global citizen committed to providing the highest-quality products while preserving the environment and fostering sustainability.